- THESE ARE THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS THAT GOVERN HOW THE “SAMSUNG SOLVE FOR TOMORROW” (”COMPETITION”) OPERATES (”TERMS AND CONDITIONS”). IN THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, “WE”, “US”, “OUR” AND “SAMSUNG” REFER TO SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS H.K. CO.LTD., “YOU”, “YOUR” AND “YOURSELF” REFER TO AN ELIGIBLE COMPETITION PARTICIPANT. EVERY SUBMISSION AND ITS CONTENTS (INCLUDING ALL INFORMATION CONTAINED THEREIN) SUBMITTED FOR THIS COMPETITION WILL CONSTITUTE AN “ENTRY”. PLEASE READ THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE ENTERING THIS COMPETITION, AS THEY FORM A LEGALLY BINDING AGREEMENT BETWEEN YOU AND SAMSUNG. BY PARTICIPATING IN THIS COMPETITION, YOU AUTOMATICALLY CONFIRM THAT YOU HAVE READ, UNDERSTOOD, FULLY AGREE TO AND UNCONDITIONALLY ABIDE BY THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
- This Competition is only open to individuals enrolled in Hong Kong as full-time students in primary and secondary schools or tertiary institution during the whole Competition period (26th November 2013 – 31st March 2014). Immediate families of judges, employees of Samsung and its subsidiaries, Edelman employees and employees of all sub-contractors are not eligible to participate in this competition.
- Each Entry can be a single individual, or a group of individuals of up to five team members enrolled in the same school for primary and secondary students and same faculty for tertiary institutions’ students.
- Each individual can only enter the Competition once.
How to Enter
- Entries can be in Cantonese, Mandarin or English.
- All Participants (individual Entry and group Entries) are required to submit their:
- Participants/ group Entries:
- a) Full name(s) (of all participants in a group Entry)
- b) Email address(es)
- c) Phone number(s)
- d) School/ Tertiary institution’s name
- e) School/ Tertiary institution’s representatives’ name
- f) School/ Tertiary institution’s representatives’ email address
- g) School/ Tertiary institution’s phone number
- For children below the age of 16, a guardian over the age of 21 is required to submit their:
- a) Full name
- b) Email address
- c) Phone number
- As a full-time student in a primary school/ secondary school/ tertiary institution :
- Submit a drawing or picture of how you can use technology to solve an environmental issue
- Prepare an audio pitch of up-to two minutes describing how you would solve the issue
- All audio, photo and/or drawing submissions must be uploaded to the Competition website no later than 12:00 noon Hong Kong Time on January 16, 2014.
- Shortlisted candidates (after initial drawing or photo & audio pitch Entry) submit a video of up to two-minutes about their solution to the identified environmental issue.
- All video submissions must be received no later than 12:00 noon Hong Kong Time on February 26, 2014.
How to Submit
- Each Participant must create a unique account on the Competition website and upload the Entry directly to the Competition website. Entries should not be sent through a third party, email, direct mail or any other channel, as they will not be considered.
- Late, illegible, incomplete, defaced or corrupted Entries will be disqualified.
- Entries must be original work, not have been released online or offline or to other competitions. Reproduction or plagiarism of others’ work will be disqualified, and the Participant(s) of this Entry is/are liable for legal consequences. If music, videos, or graphics from a third party are being used, copyright must be cleared before it is submitted with the Entry.
- Entries must not contain any indecent, disparaging expression, defamatory expression and any content, material or element that contains any third party advertising, slogan, logo, trademark or otherwise indicates a sponsorship or endorsement by a third party, commercial entity or that is not within the spirit of the Competition. Samsung has the right to withdraw the submission without any further notice.
- Participant(s) must use legal software, tools and applications to create the Competition Entry.
Details: Dates, Judges, Shortlisted Candidates, and Winners’ Prizes
- The Competition period is from 26 November 2013 and ends on 31 March 2014 (both days inclusive).
- By entering the Competition, all Participants agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions, and by the decisions of the judges and/or affiliated competition organizers, which are final as to all Competition-related matters.
- A judging panel formed by Samsung and its agencies will decide in their sole and absolute discretion the shortlisted and winning Entries.
- Samsung reserves the right of final decision regarding the judgment method and winning Entries.
- Prizes are awarded per Entry, and not by the number of participants in that Entry.
- During the online voting, all individuals will be allowed to vote only once per category.
- Judges, Samsung and its subsidiaries and Edelman and all sub-contractors and their immediate family members cannot vote in this Competition.
- The voting cut-off date is 17 March 2014.
- Shortlisted Entries will be announced and posted on the Competition website. Each entrant will also be informed via email. Due to the large volume of Entries, Participants should assume that their Entries have not been shortlisted in the case that they do not receive any notification from Samsung within five days of the announcement on the Competition website.
- Shortlisted Participants are expected to attend key events relating to the Competition.
- Winners will be notified within two weeks from the close of the Competition by email or telephone and will be provided with instructions for winner verification and redemption of their prizes. In the case that a winner cannot be contacted via email or telephone, is ineligible, or fails to claim their prizes in accordance to the instructions, this winner is deemed to forfeit the prizes. Samsung, in its sole and absolute discretion, reserves the right to award the prizes to an alternative winner. In the event of any dispute, all decisions of Samsung are final and binding.
- If for any reason the prize(s) designated by Samsung is (are) unavailable, Samsung reserves the right to substitute the prize(s) of equal or greater value. Prizes cannot be exchanged for cash or any other merchandise or services from Samsung, and participants shall be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize.
- The prizes are provided on an “as is”, “with all faults” and “as available” basis. The prizes are subject to their respective licensing terms. Participants agree that Samsung will not be responsible or liable for any loss, damage or personal injury resulting from the use of the prize.
- The top 20 schools/faculties which have the highest percentage of participation into the Competition will win Samsung products.
- The schools/faculties with winning Participants will also win Samsung products.
- Prizes will only be presented to the Participants whose names and personal information have been registered in the application.
- All Recommended Retail Prices (in Hong Kong dollars) are based on prices as of 26 November 2013.
- There will be an online public voting with a Grand Draw component to the competition. The Grand Draw is hosted under the Trade Promotion Competition Licence No.:42638. People who vote for the winning participants will be able to take part in the Grand Draw, within which 20 randomly selected individuals will be able to win prizes. individuals need not pay a fee in order to take part in the Grand Draw. The winners will be announced on 31 March 2014 in The Standard and Ming Pao Daily News and www.samsung.com/hk/solvefortomorrow. Winners will be notified via email. Each participant can win one prize only. The prizes are not redeemable for cash. In case of any disputes, the organizer will have final say.
- All voters are entitled to a Lucky Draw chance.
- Samsung is not responsible for any technical failure or malfunction, or any other problem with any online system, server, provider, or otherwise which may result in any vote being lost or not properly registered and recorded.
Data/ Personal Information
- All data transfer and reception time shall be according to Samsung’s server, and subject to Samsung’s final decision. Samsung is not responsible for any data that is transmitted late, lost, incorrectly uploaded to other websites, or any information that is received but incomplete or illegible.
- By participating in the Competition, you declare and warrant that all data and information you provide is complete and accurate. If the details you provide are incomplete, inaccurate (including but not limited to the use of a false e-mail address), inappropriate or illegible, or you impersonate another person or company to participate, Samsung will in its sole and absolute discretion disqualify your eligibility in this Competition.
Except as specifically provided for herein, the Participant completely agrees, by entering into or otherwise taking part in the Competition, of all now known or hereafter existing rights, titles and interests of every kind in the drawing, photo, recording, broadcast, video, inclusion in any television program service or making available to the public live of the his/her contribution, participation and performances related to the Competition (the “Participation”) throughout the world in perpetuity and in all languages in any and all manner, media and formats, now known or hereafter existing shall be released and assigned to Samsung absolutely and the Samsung shall be the sole owner of the entire copyright and all other rights in and to the Participation from the moment such rights come into existence.
The Participant unconditionally assigns and transfers all ideas, concepts, copyrighted materials and trademarks contained in his/her Participation and any and all rights including without limitation “moral rights” in his/her Participation. The organizers shall be entitled to make use of the Participation or any part thereof in such manner as they shall in their sole discretion think fit, including without limitation the right to make changes, alterations, substitutions and additions thereto, deletions therefrom and adaptations and rearrangements thereof and translations into any and all languages for any use, or to not use the same at all. Samsung shall also be entitled to use and exploit the Participation in whatever manner, media and format without incurring any liability to any Participant (including without limitation the requirement to pay any compensation in respect of any use or exploitation of the Participation) or making any acknowledgement of the Participation.
Each Participant or legal guardian of a Participant authorizes Samsung to, without any need for further consent or payment, use his/her or their child’s name, voice, photograph, likeness, biographical data, logos, particulars (as applicable) and any or all of Participation in any and all manner, media and formats now known or hereinafter invented or developed throughout the world, in perpetuity and in all languages without limitation. Each Participant also grants to Samsung all consents and permissions, including any consents and permissions under any relevant performance protection legislation which would otherwise be necessary to enable Samsung to make the fullest use and exploitation of the Participation.
Samsung may assign all rights granted by a Participant hereunder to any party at Samsung’s sole discretion.
- By taking part in the Competition, each Participant hereby agrees to indemnify Samsung against all actions, losses, claims, damages, costs and expenses of whatever nature arising directly or indirectly from any breach by him/her of any of the representations or warranties or any term or condition contained in these Terms and Conditions.
- To the maximum extent permitted by law, Samsung shall not be liable for any indirect, special or consequential loss or damage that you may suffer in connection with the Competition.
- Samsung reserves the right in its sole and absolute discretion to disqualify any Entry which Samsung has reason to believe has breached any of these Terms and Conditions, or engaged in any unlawful or other improper misconduct calculated to jeopardize the fair and proper conduct of the Competition. Samsung reserves all legal rights to recover damages or other compensation from such an Entry.
- Except the lucky draw, Samsung has the right at any time to change or discontinue the Competition or any aspect of it. Samsung will announce any substantive change to the Competition by posting on the Competition website. Any changes or discontinuation will take effect from the date of public notification. Continued Participation of the participants in the Competition will constitute acceptance to any changes made by Samsung. If any Participant does not agree with any changes, he/she should withdraw from the Competition. The Participant agrees that Samsung shall not be liable to him/ her for any loss or damages arising as a result of any such changes or discontinuation.
- Participants that wish to withdraw from the Competition may do so at any time via the website’s Contact Us page.
- Samsung, all participating sponsors and any of their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, professional advisors, employees and agencies shall not be responsible or liable for: (a) any problem, loss or damage of whatsoever nature suffered by any party due to any delay and/or failure (including lost Entries, mail delay or loss) in registering for or participating in the Competition as a result of any communication error, interruption, human error and/or failure by Samsung and/or any third party; (b) any problem, damage or loss of whatsoever nature to any person, resulting from his/her participation in the Competition; (c) any error (including error in notification of prize winners), omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft, destruction, alteration of, or unauthorized access to Entries, or Entries lost or delayed whether or not arising during operation or transmission; or (d) any changes made by Samsung or any third party suppliers or sponsors.
HK Related Information
- This Competition and the Terms and Conditions shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of Hong Kong SAR and the courts of Hong Kong SAR shall have jurisdiction to hear all disputes relating to them.
- All provisions of the Terms and Conditions shall apply to the maximum extent permitted by law. If any provision of these Terms and Conditions shall be held to be unlawful, void or unenforceable, then such provision shall be replaced with terms and conditions that most closely match the intent of Samsung and the remainder of the Terms and Conditions shall continue in full force and effect.
- In case of any inconsistency between the English version and Chinese version of these Terms and Conditions, the Chinese version shall prevail.